Automotive Finance Market Size To Register At 7.2% CAGR Till 2030, Due To Growing Importance of Cryptocurrency And Captive Automotive Finance Globally | Grand View Research, Inc.
Automotive Finance Industry Overview
The global automotive finance market size was valued at USD 244.88 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 451.71 billion by 2030, registering a CAGR of 7.2% during forecast period.
The increasing global demand for electric vehicles is one of the major factors, expected to drive market growth. According to the Experian’s State of the Automotive Finance report, electric vehicles comprised 4.56% of new vehicle financing in Q4 2021, up from 2.25% in Q4 2020 and 1.34% in Q4 2019 in the U.S. According to this report, consumers in the U.S. are more likely to purchase new electric vehicles rather than lease them.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Automotive Finance Market
The growing importance of captive automotive finance worldwide is creating new opportunities for market growth. Captive finance is a subsidiary of an automaker that provides loans and financial services to the company’s customers. The benefits of starting a captive finance company include personalized finance options for the customers, and equipment rental programs, among others. The companies such as Honda Finance, Ford, Infiniti, and Nissan are seeing strong growth in captive finance.
The growing importance of cryptocurrency across the automotive finance industry is expected to drive market growth. Various automotive technology providers are adopting cryptocurrency-based payments to enhance their offerings. For instance, in March 2022, Car Now, an automotive industry’s digital retailing company, announced its partnership with Cion Digital, a blockchain orchestration platform. Through this partnership, Car Now will offer auto dealers compliant and fast crypto payment and lending solutions.
Artificial intelligence technology is increasingly being used in the automotive finance sector, in order to improve the credit underwriting process, analyze the data, accurately predict whether the applicant can turn delinquent, and thus enhance the approval process. Various automotive artificial intelligence technology providers are making efforts to develop AI-enabled lending platforms. For instance, in October 2021, Upstart, a leading AI lending platform, announced the launch of Upstart Auto Retail software. This software includes AI-enabled financing features which enable the lenders to improve their customer experience.
The growing global demand for automotive refinancing is also one of the major factors, creating new opportunities for market growth. The demand for refinancing is growing due to its benefits, such as lower monthly car payments, reduced interest rates, and shortened loan terms. According to the statistics provided by Rate Genius, a fintech company, 16.0% more additional Americans applied to refinance their automotive loans in 2020 as compared to 2019. As compared to 2019, as many as 17.0% of additional borrowers refinanced their car loans successfully in 2020, as compared to 2019.
Automotive Finance Market Segmentation
Based on the Provider Type Insights, the market is segmented into banks, OEMs and other financial institutions
- The banks segment led the market and accounted for more than 57.0% share of the global revenue in 2021. The banks segment growth can be attributed to the fast-processing features with the necessity for least documentation, in addition to the high-reliability features.
- The OEMs segment is anticipated to register the highest growth over the forecast period. Automotive OEMs provide better after-sales services due to the availability of identical automobile parts, like that of the vehicle financed, for repair or the replacement.
Based on the Finance Type Insights, the market is segmented into direct and indirect
- The direct segment dominated the market and accounted for more than a 56.0% share of the global revenue in 2021. Consumers are focusing on determining the financing source, which effectively meets their requirements. Consumers directly apply for car loans at the credit union, banks, and other lending companies.
- The indirect segment is anticipated to register the highest growth in the forecast period. The most important benefit of this indirect finance type is that it allows customers to take on-site expert advice from independent finance specialists. Also, these specialists ensure that their clients determine the best method to finance a vehicle as and when required.
Based on Vehicle Type Insights, the market is segmented into commercial vehicles and passenger vehicles
- The passenger vehicles segment led the market and accounted for more than 62.0% share of the global revenue, in 2021. The segment growth can be attributed to the increasing need for mobility due to the increased distances between work, home, education, leisure, and shopping facilities.
- The automotive industry is growing due to the constant change in customer needs. The need for innovations in safety systems, infotainment systems, advanced driver-assistance systems, telematics, autonomous vehicles, and in-dash controls is increasing, especially in passenger vehicles.
- The commercial vehicles segment is anticipated to witness significant growth during the forecast period. Since, commercial vehicles are expensive in comparison to other vehicles, numerous banks, and financial institutions have introduced reasonable loan schemes, which include simple terms and conditions.
- The processing time needed to approve commercial vehicle loans is less in comparison to passenger vehicles. These aforementioned factors are expected to contribute to the segment growth during the forecast period. At the same time, the rising demand for light commercial vehicles, due to their versatile performance in varied conditions, is also driving the segment growth.
Based on Purpose Type Insights, the market is segmented into loan, leasing and others
- The loan segment led the market and accounted for more than 59.0% share of the global revenue in 2021. Loans have been a standard process of purchasing an automobile by most of the global population. As the credit environment started to advance, leasing and finance companies had extra funding sources to make accessible to the consumers.
- The leasing segment is anticipated to register the highest growth over the forecast period. The segment growth can be attributed to the increasing number of leasing providers in emerging economies, such as India, China, and Japan. The leasing services are offered for both new as well as used cars.
Based on the Regional Insights, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The European region dominated the automotive finance market and accounted for more than a 39.0% share of the global revenue in 2021. The regional market growth can be attributed to the presence of a large number of automotive finance service providers in the region.
- Numerous market players are focusing on offering their services through mobile and online channels. This initiative is giving these players an edge over traditional players. At the same time, the growing demand for electric vehicles in the region is also driving the market growth within the region.
- The Asia Pacific regional market is expected to emerge as the fastest-growing regional market during the forecast period. The growing number of favorable government initiatives in economies, such as India, Japan, and China, to promote growth in the automotive industry and maintain consumer interest, is expected to create growth opportunities for the regional market.
Market Share Insights:
- March 2022: Car Now, an automotive industry’s digital retailing company, announced its partnership with Cion Digital, a blockchain orchestration platform. Through this partnership, Car Now will offer auto dealers compliant and fast crypto payment and lending solutions.
- October 2021: Upstart, a leading AI lending platform, announced the launch of Upstart Auto Retail software. This software includes AI-enabled financing features which enable the lenders to improve their customer experience.
Key Companies Profile:
The market is fragmented in nature. The market is in the growth stage, and also the competition is anticipated to intensify over the forecast period. Prominent players are adopting various strategies, such as partnerships, strategic joint ventures, mergers & acquisitions, and geographical expansion, to cement their foothold in the market. The emerging subscription business is altering the market dynamics.
Some of the prominent players in the global automotive finance market include:
- Ally Financial
- Bank of America
- Capital One
- Chase Auto Finance
- Daimler Financial Services
- Ford Motor Credit Company
- GM Financial Inc.
- Hitachi Capital
- Toyota Financial Services
- Volkswagen Financial Services
Order a free sample PDF of the Automotive Finance Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research is a full-time market research and consulting company registered in San Francisco, California. The company fully offers market reports, both customized and syndicates, based on intense data analysis. It also offers consulting services to business communities and academic institutions and helps them understand the global and business scenario to a significant extent. The company operates across multitude of domains such as Chemicals, Materials, Food and Beverages, Consumer Goods, Healthcare, and Information Technology to offer consulting services.
Company Name: Grand View Research, Inc.
Contact Person: Sherry James, Corporate Sales Specialist – U.S.A.
Email: Send Email
Address:Grand View Research, Inc. 201 Spear Street 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105, United States
City: San Francisco
Country: United States